Thursday, May 13, 2010

FAMILY VALUES

Over the past few days I have been home with my daughter who is sick with soar throat and stuffed up. We have been spending time doing school work and organizing the house.

The last couple of days we have been watching the Dugger Family on TV on TLC. If you have never heard of them they are a family that has 19 children. Truly amazing family. When I think about that it sounds crazy 19 kids, wow. I have fun just with one. I have always dreamed of having more kids, but not that many. So far nothing yet, but I am praying one day that will happen.

Abbie and I were talking about how strong this family is. They are all home schooled and everyone helps each other out. I am most impressed with the father who teaches the boys how to fix things and about business education. Today the boys were helping take down a tree, a rather big tree that had died. They all got together and helped out. On other show when ever anything needed to fix and taken care of they did it. How many of us today just leave that to someone else to show there kids.

I find today so many of us will leave it till things get really bad or pay some someones else to do that. I think this is part of why we are getting sicker as the physical labor is been taken out. They say when you do lot of physical activities it keeps you younger, it slows down the ageing process. We have lost our physical enjoyment and pride in taking care of our house or property and helping others do that same. I am not saying everyone I know some who really do a remarkable job.

I would love to have a family like the Duggers, just with a lot less kids. I don't' think God is going to have me have that many kids since I am 36 now....... I should I be careful what I say. Anyway I would be happy.

Abbie and I are taking on Homeschooling together starting September of this year. We are both very excited about it. There is so much I can teacher her on top of the regular stuff of school, like

1. Gardening
2. Cooking
3. Baking
4. fixing things
5. Money Management
6. Goal setting and planning.
7. Time management
8. Most of all movie making which Abbie is very passionate about.

Most of these things are not taut in schools which are really important in life. I think the schools need a who new curriculum put into place as the world is changing and needs to be improved to fit this era. And well new teachers as well. Today on CNN we heard a story of teaches who was caught on camera punching a kid and some who where yelling and telling kids how dumb they are. No wonder our kids today are so mad and messed up. We should be building them up to accomplish great things and getting out there and helped others. If we spend more time with them we would have less bully's in the schools. The only reason they do it is because the do not feel good about themselves so hurting someone else builds them up. You can bet when they are by themselves they are not feeling very good. There are some really great teachers out there, but we need more of them and replace the ones who can not take it anymore.

We as parents need to engage out children more as well as being a family. Not worrying so much about the stuff and a bigger house to keep up with others. Be grateful for what you have now and enjoy it.

Like a great Mentor told me (Robin Sharma). You do not seeing a U-haul following hearse. At the end of your life it will be about your family and who you touched and what difference you made in this life.

Hope everyone is having a Sensational day.

Love always
Julie Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment