Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thought about Mahatma Gandhi's quotes

Last week I came across this quote by Mahatma Gandhi. "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I thought about that for a minute and said "I can't possibly put that quote up on Facebook". But as the week went by I thought "Why not?". I understand and can agree with what he is saying and know many can relate to that. I think about who Christ was as a man. Remarkable really. He really but his heart into everything he did; not worrying about what others would say and do. He made it a priority to hang out and meet all kinds of people and love them despite what they did or believed. He had a respect for people. He did what was right not matter what it cost him. I ASKED MYSELF DO I DO THAT? DO YOU DO THAT?

I think today about what I have seen and heard from others; about how Christians are. One things that I see from so many are that they stick only to those within the church; only getting to know people who believe and do things that they believe in. They shun people out if they think differently or do not understand what you believe. I have been burned in the past by many for that which has put a big barrier in my relationship to God. Reading the Bible has been a challenge for me because I am reminded of all the things that other Christians have done to me or said about me. I learn more from hearing from great speakers like TD Jake's, Joel Osteen, James Richards, and Rick Boyes. I never give up and keep going because I know it's between me and God and not me and everyone else thinks.

One things that really saddens me is how much judgement I see from others and I can completely understand why people do not want to go to a church. We are called not to do that and I think in the world the religious groups have become the biggest group that judge. I am not saying everyone is like that, and I have been that way myself from time to time when I let others control what I think. We are not prefect. I apologise to everyone for judging them.

The quote reminds me of how great it can be. We have a God who loves us, wants the best for us and is willing to stick by us no matter what we do. He is always there to help us grow. Sometimes it is not easy, but like a good friend Robin Sharma said "On the other side of your fears/challanges lies your freedom". So true. When we go through the tough stuff we become stronger if we learn from it.

I have learned from many other great leaders and coaches that we should be loving to all and respect others and be friends with others despite what faith they have. My husband always tells me when meeting people, if you want them to know what you believe and are passionate about "love them so much they ask". I love that, not always easy but I do try.

Life is to short. Go out and meet new people and have new experiences and learn from each other. Life can be grand if we let it.


Have a great night.

Love always
Julie Elliott

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie,

    I can SO identify with you on so many points here.

    My husband used to say that Christians are the only ones who shoot their own wounded. That's a really sad commentary and so unneccesary.

    I experienced much criticism and even ostracism because they didn't like everything from who my friends were to things like - you play the keyboard too modern. Looking back I wonder why I even cared about these people's petty comments, but at the time they hurt very deeply.

    My family and I have suffered much at the hands of "Christians" and I had to learn to separate God from organized religion. They are definitely 2 different things.

    I'm sorry that you had to experience this as well. I believe you have the right idea here, as what worked for me was pruning those people from my life and finding people like you to connect with. Thanks for sharing so openly.

    Debbie Stevens

    ReplyDelete